Sustainable Piping Solutions
How does Victaulic provide environmentally sustainable piping solutions?
Today’s engineering and construction professionals are increasingly focused on constructing buildings that are environmentally sustainable, flexible, and energy efficient. The demand for building materials, products and design solutions that factor into creating a sustainable environment has risen dramatically.
Victaulic is committed to providing design and construction professionals with piping connection solutions that help them achieve their individual sustainability goals while at the same time contributing to the surrounding ecosystem’s overall wellness through environmentally sound business practices and processes.
Victaulic is a member of Green Building Councils throughout the world, such as USGBC, CAGBC (Canada) and SpainGBC, and works collaboratively with these organizations to make green buildings and designs accessible and understandable.
How is Victaulic helping designers achieve sustainability goals?
- Victaulic ductile iron castings are made from 90%* recycled scrap metal recovered from internal manufacturing processes and from scrap metal purchased from others
- Victaulic products contribute to a project’s storm water management planning
- Victaulic products contribute to water use reduction, thus conserving one of the Earth’s most precious natural resources – H20
- Victaulic products reduce overall energy consumption through more efficient water flows and higher CVs
- Specifying Victaulic products eliminates unnecessary pipe joint welding, thus protecting the Earth’s ozone layer
- Victaulic products are designed to reduce piping system vibration in HVAC and fire protection systems, thus contributing to the comfort, well-being and productivity of a building’s occupants
- Specifying and installing Victaulic products promotes “green” site planning and on-site building construction practices, thus contributing to the ecological preservation of your site
How is the installation of Victaulic grooved couplings 100% Energy Efficient?
Installation of Victaulic grooved couplings requires zero electrical energy. The installation of a grooved coupling on prepared pipe does not require any incremental electrical energy to install, as compared to other pipe joining methods, such as welding and soldering. A typical 4”, schedule 40 carbon steel arc welded joint consumes 5 KW of electrical energy with an estimated 25 percent waste during the installation process. A 4” Victaulic coupling is installed by tightening two nuts and bolts with a hand ratchet.
Case in Point: Saving over 123,000 KW of electricity
A recent project requiring 1,105 butt welds on Schedule 40 pipe in sizes 10” through 24” would have required 123,227 KW of energy to be consumed for a total cost of $7,886.51. Factoring in a 25 percent KW waste on welded joints equals a loss of $1,971.63 and 30,807 KW on this job alone. Using grooved couplings saved this single project the equivalent amount of electricity consumed by 130 average homes in 1 month.
Interested in learning more?
- Redirect to our dedicated Victaulic Sustainable Piping Solutions microsite for more information
- Learn how Victaulic promotes a safer work environment
- Learn how Victaulic systems are compressing construction schedules
English - pdf (113 KB)
Select LanguageBREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) White Paper
English - pdf (145 KB)CASBEE (Comprehensive Assessment System for Building Environmental Efficiency) White Paper
English - pdf (154 KB)